The Polish Committee for StandardizationThe institution responsible for the organization of standardization activity in Poland.
Check out how did we create the newest PKN website, fully-adjusted to disabled needs.
The decision regarding rebuilding the website of The Polish Committee for Standardization (PKN) was caused by several, influential factors. First of all, the previous solution - Drupal 7 - was no longer compliant with the newest safety requirements. For some time, the updated version of Drupal 8, containing various improvements in case of security, has been available. Lack of necessary updates caused website management issues, especially those connected to content management.
Moreover, the efficiency of the website was on unsatisfactory level - loading time of subpages either on desktop or mobile view was so long that it negatively affected user experience. Another issue regarding UX was obsolete graphic layout - it does not imitate the professional character of the institution.
Last, but not least, lack of responsiveness was a problem which vastly disables the usage of the website on other devices than desktop ones.
After conducting a precise audit of the PKN website, we decided to rebuild the whole service. Taking into consideration that the previous website was based on Drupal, the most accurate solution was a further development on the same CMS. The new website was made with the usage of Drupal 8. Why this solution seemed to be the best for our experts?
- Drupal is highly scalable which enables nearly unlimited extensions in the future.
- The newest version provides top security of the website. Not without the reason, Drupal is perceived as one of the most resistant CMS in terms of hackers attacks.
- There are dozens of modules and plugins that enable improvements of the website at any time.
- It is possible to manage the website simultaneously by many users, which in case of extended services as PKN is a really useful function.
While creating the new PKN website, we decided to change the entire, obsolete graphic layout to a modern, transparent project. Furthermore, the priority was to implement a fully-responsive version of the website that will scale depending on the device on which it is displayed
Solution in details
As a body governed by the public law, The Polish Committee for Standardization is obliged to adjust its website to WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines). Thanks to that, the content is more accessible for a wider range of users e.g. people with disabilities. That is the reason why we applied the following solutions:
- fonts zooming or minimization,
- switching to standard or contrast version of the website,
- functionalities available with the usage of a keyboard,
- predictability- websites open in a predictable way, content layout on particular subpages do not vary significantly.
2. Advanced search engine
PKN website contains the extended base of norms that are binding in Poland. To make the search fast and easy for the users, we decided to implement an advanced search engine based on Apache Solr. Additionally, we created a dedicated Autocomplete module which enriches the search with the phrases autocomplete option. Despite this functionality, users can search the norms with the usage of 8 categories.
Creation of advanced search engine would not be possible without the integrations with numerous external bases. That is why we made such integrations at the request of PKN. What is more, we introduced integrations with PKN’s social media channels- Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter.
4. Language versions
For such an important institution as The Polish Committee for Standardization, multilingualism is a vital function. That is why, besides the Polish version, we introduced English and Russian ones. Similarly like in case of Polish website, English and Russian are compliant with WCAG and have access to the advanced norms search engine.
5. Other functionalities
Besides the above-mentioned functionalities, we enriched the website with the simple contact form. Thanks to that communication with PKN is much easier than previously. Moreover, we implemented an extended news section on the home page with the division into several categories.
Realisation in numbers
Dedicated modules responsible for website functionalities
The entire project took 1000 hours
We created 3 language versions of the website- Polish, English and Russian
The team included a Project Manager, UX Designer, Tester and 2 Drupal Developers
- User-friendly, modern graphic layout
- Adjustment to the needs of users with disabilities
- Transparent administration panel divided into modules
- Safe and scalable system - Drupal 8
- Fast searching and filtering of the website content
- Intuitive management interface
- Unlimited possibilities of website development
- Increased efficiency of the website
The partnership approach of Smartbees makes our cooperation an effective and pleasant one. That is why we do not hesitate to contract out new assignments to them.
They are good at establishing a strong business relationship with customers.
Smartbees performed a giant experience in Drupal CMS system and helped us to modernize our tender service.