Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform. Due to its flexibility and scalability, it can be used to create small online shops as well as extensive, enterprise-class e-commerce marketplaces.
Key facts about Magento:
- Since 2011 Magento is owned by ebay – one of the largest online marketplaces in the world.
- One of Magento’s versions (v.3, “Community Edition”) is based on open-source license, which means the platform itself, as well as its add-ons, are completely free. Moreover, everyday developers from all over the world contribute and extend the functionality of the platform.
- Magento can accommodate having several stores under one administration panel. For example, if you have several brands, all stores and brands can feature a unique design, layout and website language, while being centrally administered in one Administrator’s Panel.
- Magento is module-based. This means that additional functionality is always one click away. Moreover, due to its open-source license, new functionality-extending modules are created everyday.
- Due to the open-source license, you have the freedom to extend, modify and change Magento to meet your specific business needs.
- By far, Magento is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms out there. On top of that, Magento’s popularity is still growing.
- Magento is very SEO-friendly. This includes automatic sitemaps, meta tags, easy to read URLs and many other SEO-enhancing features being built-in.