110 locations, thousands of SKUs, thousands of customers daily. Together with Velo, we created an e-business solution that not only looks great but also simplifies back-end operations.
Just as any modern business, Velo.pl already had a functioning website. However, there were some serious back-end usability problems, which Velo outlined to us.
The biggest problem was the lack of a centralized location for taking care of orders. This meant that the process of managing orders was unnecessarily split in-between several platforms, each requiring a separate login. Given this arrangement, there was a complete lack of fluidity in the work-flow: rather than dealing with all aspects of the order at one location, each employee had to log out of one session and carry on the task on another platform.
Moreover, each of these platforms had a unique UI, which proved to be counter-intuitive for many users, as different interfaces were used for carrying out one process (for example, taking orders). This resulted in much longer on-the-job employee training, to make sure that each employee understands the complex, multi-platform system.
Additionally, not all systems were integrated. What this meant in real-life was an incredible amount of work duplication. Some systems were not sharing data with other systems, even though together they were handling the same process. Understandably, the operating costs to business in this situation are enormous.
Last, but not least, some of the desired back-end features were flat-out missing. Given the sizable inventory of Velo.pl, one can easily imagine how many times product pages needed updating daily. Due to the lack of a built-in image management system on the website, employees dealt with updating images one-by-one by navigating through a multitude of complicated, fragmented back-end platforms. Although this process might appear simple in writing, it’s necessary to keep in mind that it had to be completed several times per day. For comparison, in modern CMS platforms – such as Drupal or WordPress – image management is a breeze. It’s done on-site and without the need to manually update image links or tweak any additional metadata. What a time-saver!
As we mentioned above, it was apparent to us that our Client needed much more than a simple website overhaul. What Velo.pl needed, was a fluid, well-integrated back-end system for interacting with orders coming in from different sources – not only their main website but also websites of their partners.
And that’s exactly what we set out to do.
- Create a multi-level access system with differentiated privileges for each user. No more confusion over numerous platforms and different user privileges on each platform!
- Bring all order sources into one, centralized location. Regardless how the order comes in – from Velo.pl website, from one of its locations, or Partner’s websites – now Velo will have one, centralized hub for all orders.
- Integrate the Velo website with their CRM platform. Now order handling and customer relations will be streamlined and clearly visible to appropriate employees.
Starting with a multi-level access system with differentiated privileges for each user was the clear winner in our strategy for the back-end. What we wanted to do, is to create an interface, which would only show appropriate data and features to the appropriate employee. This way our Client can save money and time, by having employees use one, easy-to-configure system. The idea of “set it and forget it” really appealed to us, and that’s exactly what we offered to Velo.
Secondly, we delivered a centralized hub for all orders coming in from various locations. In the end, an order is an order regardless of where it comes from – and it should be treated as such. The platform we delivered takes on this approach and brings in all orders into one, centralized hub.
Last, but not least, to have the website back-end as friendly as possible, we decided to integrate the site with Velo’s CRM platform. This way, we go above and beyond the task of simply handling orders, but we allow our Client to reap the benefits of easily handling customer relations from the time of sale until the warranty runs out, and hopefully, as the Customer returns for another purchase. Moreover, this approach allows sales and marketing departments to engage and re-engage with the Customer by running targeted remarketing campaigns and thus increasing sales.
Solution in details
Aside from the integrations mentioned above: the all-around CRM integration, centralized hub for all orders and creating multi-level access system with differentiated privileges, we added custom website back-end features which we imagined should make work a breeze. Velo.pl agreed with us – so far so good!
- Integration with DHL courier services allows for optimization of transport logistics & order management
- New, Smartbees-built, custom-made algorithm of shipment optimization allows for increased efficiency in handling shipments
- React and Vue technologies handle online forms, thus greatly increasing click-through conversion rates
- Innovative system based on Vue technology is now responsible for managing more than 80,000 product images
- Content delivery to all Client’s services is now done from a centralized, unified panel in real-time
- All products are now based on internal serial numbers, which unambiguously identify products and support Velo in efficiently handling warranties
- Graphical image manipulation is now done fully on-site
On the front-end we greatly expanded the site, allowing for a much more customized experience, tailored to each user. Moreover, we wanted to make the purchasing experience as smooth and ergonomic as possible.
- Based on another Drupal instance, we integrated the website with a rebate verification service. This way each user can utilize their personalized coupons and rebates across the entire site.
- Text-message (SMS) notifications are now a standard – both for taking orders and for user registration
- Integration with MultiMerchant DotPay service allows all users to pay for their products in a wide variety of convenient ways – from simplified bank transfers to online debit and credit card translations
- B2B sales are now supported, including documentation
- Improved warranty and customer relations mechanisms allow for greater efficiency in handling customer’s requests
Realisation in numbers
40 dedicated modules responsible for website functionalit
30000 active management of more than 30 thousands of products divided into 70 independent, configurable types
4 integrations with and between API, XML files, databases and different Drupal instances
24 service availability monitoring 24/7 by Support Team
6 specialists working for the project’s success: 4 Developers and 2 Testers
200 management of products from 200 warehouses
3400 more than 3400 commits/actualizations
In comparison to the model where the back-end of the website and ordering platform was heavily fragmented, the benefits of the new approach are quite clear.
- Greater efficiency in handling orders, warranties, online coupon management and post-sale customer relations
- Less onboarding time for new employees – the system transfers data automatically and handles entire processes
- Efficient product updates – image management is now done on-site and product codes work across all services
- Uniformity – all orders are handled in one location and in a streamlined fashion, regardless of which channel the Customer uses to make a purchase
What can we do for
By outlining this success story, we are hoping to show our thought process as well as experience in developing and handling complicated, multi-process platforms. Our expertise centres around Drupal and Magento, and we pride ourselves in developing all-encompassing projects: from laying out foundations to delivering fully-functioning systems.
Moreover, our code is always well-documented and standards-compliant, making any further upgrades, by any skilled professional, a breeze.
Let’s get in touch. We’re ready to have that conversation.
The partnership approach of Smartbees makes our cooperation an effective and pleasant one. That is why we do not hesitate to contract out new assignments to them.
They are good at establishing a strong business relationship with customers.
Smartbees performed a giant experience in Drupal CMS system and helped us to modernize our tender service.